Close Menu

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    Aiyedatiwa Unveils Tayo Oyetibo Bar Centre in Ondo

    May 23, 2026

    Alleged ₦8.7bn Money Laundering: Court Adjourns Ex-AGF Malami’s Trial Till June 23

    May 22, 2026

    Alleged $525,276 Mining Fraud: How Victor Ekpong Thompson Used Forged Mining Licence to Defraud American Investors — Witness

    May 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Disclaimer
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest Vimeo
    Naijafacts.com
    SUBSCRIBE
    Naijafacts.com
    Home»News»23 Confirmed Dead, 108 Injured in Borno Attack — Police
    News

    23 Confirmed Dead, 108 Injured in Borno Attack — Police

    Staff EditorBy Staff EditorMarch 17, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Telegram LinkedIn Tumblr Email Reddit
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link

    Police authorities in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, have confirmed that a total of 23 persons were killed, while 108 others sustained injuries after three bomb blasts were detonated on Monday night.

    The spokesman of the command, Nahum Kenneth-Daso, who disclosed this in a press statement on Tuesday, said normalcy has returned to the state capital.

    “Following the devastating suspected suicide IED explosions that occurred at about 1924hrs on March 16, 2026, at (1) Maiduguri Monday Market, (2) University of Maiduguri Teaching Hospital (UMTH) gate, and (3) Post Office Flyover area, Maiduguri,” Kenneth-Daso said.

    “Preliminary investigations reveal that the incidents were carried out by suspected suicide bombers. Regrettably, a total of twenty-three (23) persons lost their lives, while one hundred and eight (108) others sustained varying degrees of injuries.”

    He further explained that, following the incidents, a combined team of police tactical units, the military, and other joint security operatives was swiftly deployed to the affected areas.

    The scenes were immediately secured, cordoned off, and thoroughly swept by the Police Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Unit, Base 13, Maiduguri, to rule out any additional threats.

    “The Commissioner of Police, Naziru Abdulmajid, visited the affected locations to conduct an on-the-spot assessment of the situation and evaluate ongoing response efforts. He commiserated with victims and their families while assuring the public of the command’s unwavering commitment to safeguarding lives and property.

    “Victims were promptly evacuated by emergency responders, including the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and the State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), to medical facilities, where they are currently receiving treatment,” the command’s spokesman added.

    Meanwhile, joint security operatives have increased their presence and surveillance across Maiduguri and its environs to prevent further incidents.

    The renewed assaults have disrupted a year-long period of relative peace in the city, which had become an oasis of calm as Nigeria’s long-running insurgency was pushed to rural hinterlands.

    Fighters from Boko Haram and rival jihadist group Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) have recently stepped up attacks in northeastern Nigeria.

    Their 16-year campaign to establish a caliphate in the country has killed more than 40,000 people and displaced around two million.

    Babagana Zulum, governor of Borno State, described the bombings as “barbaric,” adding that “the recent surge in attacks is not unconnected with intense military operations in the Sambisa Forest,” a known jihadist stronghold.

    Maiduguri, once the scene of daily shootings and bombings, had been relatively calm in recent years, with attacks peaking in the mid-2010s.

    The last major attack dates back to 2021, when Boko Haram jihadists fired mortars at the city, killing 10 people.

    However, in December, an unclaimed bombing — again involving a suspected suicide attacker — killed at least seven people in a city mosque.

    In the countryside surrounding Maiduguri, violence has continued.

    Last week, the army confirmed “coordinated attacks” on several military bases in the northeast, which killed at least 14 people, including 10 soldiers, according to local civilian and military sources.

    Last month, the United States Africa Command announced the deployment of troops to Nigeria to provide technical and training support to the country’s military in combating jihadist groups.

    The command said 200 troops are expected to be deployed.

    The move followed remarks by Donald Trump, who described the violence in Nigeria as the “persecution” of Christians — a characterisation often used by segments of the U.S. religious and political right.

    However, the federal government and many independent experts maintain that both Christians and Muslims are victims of the country’s violence.

    Borno State
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Staff Editor
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Aiyedatiwa Unveils Tayo Oyetibo Bar Centre in Ondo

    May 23, 2026

    Tinubu Appoints 39-Year-Old Segun Aina As New JAMB Registrar

    May 21, 2026

    Lagos to Launch State-Issued Driver’s Licence

    May 12, 2026
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Demo
    Top Posts

    EFCC secures conviction of ex-legislative aide over N120.5m employment scam.

    September 26, 2025

    Nigeria approves plan to refinance ₦4tn power-sector debt

    August 14, 2025

    Tinubu sets 7% annual growth target by 2027

    August 14, 2025

    Owo church massacre: Five suspects arraigned in Abuja

    August 11, 2025
    Don't Miss

    Aiyedatiwa Unveils Tayo Oyetibo Bar Centre in Ondo

    By Staff EditorMay 23, 2026

    Governor of Ondo State, Lucky Aiyedatiwa, has described the donation of a Bar Centre to…

    Alleged ₦8.7bn Money Laundering: Court Adjourns Ex-AGF Malami’s Trial Till June 23

    May 22, 2026

    Alleged $525,276 Mining Fraud: How Victor Ekpong Thompson Used Forged Mining Licence to Defraud American Investors — Witness

    May 21, 2026

    Alleged ₦76bn, $31.5m Fraud: Court Adjourns Trial of Ex-AMCON MD, Ahmed Kuru, Others till June 25

    May 21, 2026
    Stay In Touch
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • YouTube
    • Vimeo

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from SmartMag about art & design.

    Demo
    About Us

    NaijaFacts – Your daily pulse on entertainment, celebrity gossip, music, film, and pop culture. We bring you trending stories, exclusive highlights, and the latest buzz from Hollywood to Nollywood and everywhere in between. Stay tuned, stay entertained.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest YouTube WhatsApp
    Our Picks

    Aiyedatiwa Unveils Tayo Oyetibo Bar Centre in Ondo

    May 23, 2026

    Alleged ₦8.7bn Money Laundering: Court Adjourns Ex-AGF Malami’s Trial Till June 23

    May 22, 2026

    Alleged $525,276 Mining Fraud: How Victor Ekpong Thompson Used Forged Mining Licence to Defraud American Investors — Witness

    May 21, 2026
    Most Popular

    EFCC secures conviction of ex-legislative aide over N120.5m employment scam.

    September 26, 2025

    Nigeria approves plan to refinance ₦4tn power-sector debt

    August 14, 2025

    Tinubu sets 7% annual growth target by 2027

    August 14, 2025
    © 2026 Naijafacts.com

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.